Absolution - Kaylea Cross
For full review, go to http://guiltyindulgencebookclub.blogspot.com...

Kaylea Cross’s series got better and better until it all culminated in the amazing final installment. Absolution has her trademark suspense, action and emotion packed into it but with a unique hero and heroine who are both older than the norm in today’s romance novels. Since readers have had glimpses of the couple, clever clues about their marriage which ended over twenty years ago, it was a treat to finally learn their full story. And again I was hooked from the very first page. Cross wove in each character from the series into this captivating story so that their significance to the overall plot was reinforced while not taking away focus from the main characters.

Luke and Emily, oh Luke and Emily, the sacrifice and unrelenting love of this couple squeezed my heart. Admittedly, reunited lovers is one of my favorite themes in romance books but their story keeps the reader in suspense wondering if it’s possible for their relationship to really work out in the end. Cross doesn’t sugar-coat anything in her series, including Luke and Emily’s fate in this climactic ending.

This book is well researched and thoughtful. Every detail, including both the military aspects and Emily’s illness, is far more detailed than readers will find in other books within this genre. The details create scenes that jump off the page as the reader travels from the United States to Beirut and the mountains of the Middle East. It is truly the best romantic military suspense series available.

Absolution has a unique plot with one twist after another so even though the reader expects a happy ever after because it is a romance, the suspense leaves the reader guessing. In fact, this is what puts the series on my “favorites” shelf. I was on the edge the entire book - there were no moments in the story where I was certain what was going to happen. Cross beautifully crafted a storyline with the military suspense aspect of the plot equally as strong as the romance aspect, creating a realistic story while still giving the romantics-at-heart the ending they crave.